Saturday, 1 May 2010

Doorways and Archways

I've always been fascinated by doors. In my brief travels I've begun taking pictures of doors. European doors are especially beautiful.
The doors I especially like, are found off to the side of buildings, obscure and not imposing. However, I do have pictures of doors and arches, from some of my travels. They may be large and definitely not obscure, but they are beautiful.
The doors to the left grace a cathedral in Avilla, Spain.The archway, on the right, with ornate carvings leads into a private space in the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain.
In Barcelona, the doorways to buildings designed by Gaudi, are absolutely fantastic. Casa Batllo, in Barcelona is one of his famous designs has some interesting doors and archways. The doorway surrounded by blue tiles are both from Casa Batllo. 
The Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción in Cordoba, Spain was once known as the Mezquita maintains its archways from the time when the it was a muslim mosque.
However, the archways and doorways that I like the best (as I mentioned above) are the less famous, yet unusual spaces.  
I`ll have to find some of my pictures of doorways in France.
Here are some from my travels in Spain. I'll try to find some that are the kind I really like...the out of the way places and spaces. For now, there are these...

No comments:

Post a Comment