Friday, 18 June 2010

Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery

One of the my all time favourite books is Anne of Green Gables. I don't know how old I was when I first read the book, but I had read it before we travelled to Prince Edward Island, so I know I was no older than eight. I do know that I have read the book more than a dozen times over the years. Some favourite memories of reading the book are the first time, of course. It was an old hard cover, first given to my mom by her uncle on her 12th birthday. The cover is orange and there isn't a picture, but that is what made it so special and grown up.
Anne of Green Gables is a timeless tale. It's a story that makes you cheer, laugh, and cry. There's a bit of suspense, frustration, and worry. I won't write a review, but you can click on the link in the title to read the synopsis. Above all, the book is one that has given me many memories and encouraged my childhood imagination.
One memory of reading the book comes from my seventh or eighth reading. At that time I was completing my teaching internship in a grade five class. Each day, after lunch I got to read to the class. The boys hadn't been to certain about a book with a girl's name in the title, but they'd quickly been won over. All of the students were enjoying the book and I just love to read aloud. We were at the part where Anne had the priviledge of serving tea to the minister's wife. She had been so excited to prepare for the event that she had forgotten to cover the sauce for the pudding. All I can say is that in the turn of the century all sorts of things can happen when food isn't covered properly and the ensuing situation is hillarious. The students and I were laughing so much we all had tears rolling down our faces.
I've read the book many more times since then, and expect I will read it a few more times. It is doubtful that it will ever be retired to the shelf for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment