Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Dad

I wrote about my mom a few posts ago. My dad is just as great. Dad is 6'2" and a bit, so he's always been the big guy. My son, however, made it his goal to be bigger than grandpa, a feat he "managed" in his late teens. (not that it really was in his control)
For my sisters and I, his height meant we had to take two steps to his one, and when we were small it wasn't uncommon to see us running to keep up with him, which caused a few tears of frustration!
All three of us swam and played ball in the summer. In the winter we played ringette. Dad was very involved with our sports. He was always the coach for one of our ringette teams and then he refereed for the other two teams, so he rarely missed any of our games. Considering I played for 10 years, and my younger sisters at least 12 or more years, he was very busy with the sport. He also organized the league and many tournaments as well as our participation in many other tournaments.
Before he "retired" he worked in the areas of Parks, Sports and Recreation and with Provincial, Western Canada and Canada Games. Within his employment and as a volunteer, Dad's ideas have allowed him to help raise thousands and thousands of dollars for a number of charities and organizations over the years. He is a mayor now and he continues to raise money for the community.
My dad has a number of loves in his life: his family, my mom, his grandchildren, each of our families' dogs, the cabin up north...and... well, I don't know if I've put them in the right order, but I'm sure you've got the idea!  :)
Love you dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment