Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Why Meditate

I have a mind that runs at warp speed when I get thinking. It wakes me up in the middle of the night with thoughts and ideas regarding current projects and work I am doing. When I am multi-tasking or working on more than one project with someone it jumps from idea to idea. Sometimes I feel like a dog on the track of multiple scents, or a kid on a sugar high, or perhaps someone with Attention Deficit. I may be able to keep my mind on all of these topics and flit between them, but the people I am talking to aren't living in my brain and therefore they aren't privy to the forks in the road that my thoughts take. Many people are understanding, but it can be confusing to them, too.
Regardless of them being understanding, it is important to learn how to quiet my mind for a number of reasons. It is important to learn how to quiet my mind so that I can focus when talking to people at work. It is important to quiet my mind so that I can get a good night's sleep. It is important to quiet my mind so that I can hone in on one task at a time and ensure I catch all of the details that I need to complete.
My husband is an archer. A week or two ago he shot a 'robin hood.' This is when one arrow already shot into the target is split by the second arrow. Since I rarely manage to actually get a 'robin hood' as I roam around with my points and topics, I need to work on focussing!
I have been practicing a bit of meditation, but I often fall asleep, even if I am sitting. As soon as my eyes are closed and I am comfortable my mind races until I fall asleep. I have a lot of work to do. However, I do believe it would be a good practice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment