Monday, 26 July 2010

Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Old age shold burn and rave at the close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too light, they grieved it on its way.
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meeors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.




Said to be written for his dying father, this poem, by Dylan Thomas, was published in 1952.

For me, poetry is a lot like visual art. There may be historical background, a person or location who is being portrayed, there may be a specific meaning the author is conveying and that he/she has told people about...but there is also the meaning that the reader chooses.

I think that there is nothing wrong with a different interpretion, as long as you can explain it. At least that is what I used to tell my students. I really didn't think that they had to guess what I thought was the right answer. Maybe that's because I often see things a bit differently than other people. I'm not sure why. I just know that as long as I'm allowed to explain my differing viewpoint, I seem to get by alright. It's when I don't get to explain that people think I'm rather confused!

I really like all of Dylan Thomas' poems and have a collection of them that was given to me from my daughter as a Christmas present.
Read some poetry sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment