Wednesday, 4 August 2010

A Healthy Breakfast To Go

I've been eating an organic granola from Highwood Crossing that's really good. It has oats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and it's lightly sweetened with raw maple syrup and agave. I usually have fresh strawberries and raspberries or blueberries on my granola. Since I'm lactose intolerant, I generally use soy, rice, or almond milk. I alternate between the three to have variety and to ensure I don't develop an allergy. Some of them have a few calories, but I only have it at breakfast; all of the milks are a good source of calcium and I get the fibre of the granola.

Highland Crossing also has a great porridge. You have to soak it for a few hours before you make it. I often put it into a slow cooker overnight so it's ready first thing in the morning, a trick I learned from a friend and fellow blogger.

Another way I enjoy my granola is in a wrap.

On an open tortilla spread on some peanut butter, sprinkle on some granola and top with sliced apples. Then it gets rolled up just like you would any other wrap. It's a good way to make a breakfast to go. It's best with a granola that isn't too sugary, which my favourite granola isn't, so it's ok.

I know that some people stay away from peanut butter because of the calories, but we use an organic peanut butter. It's just ground up peanuts, no sugar added and it provides lots of protein and fibre to start the day.

You can always substitute bananas for apples and yogurt or cream cheese for peanut butter. I like the crunch of the apples the best.

To write this post, I went looking for pictures. Well, I discovered I wasn't the first to come up with this idea! Food.com also has some great recipes for this kind of breakfast to go. The wrap picture comes from their site.

No comments:

Post a Comment