Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Roasted Garlic and Wild Rice Mushroom Soup

Roasted Garlic and Wild Rice Mushroom Soup

I really like mushroom soup, but most recipes have cream or milk added, which I can't have. Rather than substituting the milk with Soy, Rice, or Oat milk, I've been experimenting to make my own recipe. I start by roasting garlic.

I like using roasted garlic in recipes because it tastes buttery and smooth. When I roasted the garlic for my soup, I followed the directions that I saw on a recent Rachel Ray show.
  • Peel off most of the outer layers on the garlic bulb (not all)
  • Cut the top off of a bulb of garlic and put it on a piece of foil.
  • Drizzle olive oil over the garlic
  • Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground pepper.
  • Wrap the garlic in the foil
  • Place in the oven at 425 degrees for 1 hour
For my soup recipe I actually used two bulbs of garlic. The garlic will be browned and softened when cooked enough. Wait for the garlic to cool and then squeeze out the cloves. Mash the garlic into a paste and add to recipes as needed.

Roasted garlic is not as strong as raw garlic, so you tend to use more in a recipe. It still tastes delicious.

The SOUP
  • Put 1 - 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet
  • Throw in one large diced onion and
  • 2c diced celery.
  • Add about 6c chopped mushrooms
  • Cook the vegetables on a medium high heat.
  • Let them sweat and release their juices and begin to brown. Once they have reduced and cooked through,
  • Add the roasted cloves of garlic,
  • Add 2 cups of red wine,
  • Stir to pick up the bits of vegetables that may have browned on to the pan.
  • Simmer to reduce the red wine.
  • Once the wine has reduced, place the mixture into a large stock pot on high heat.
  • Add 12 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock.
  • Add 2 cups of wild rice
  • Allow the soup to reach a boil, then cover and simmer for 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
  • Stir in fresh chopped basil and parsley to taste.

This soup freezes and reheats well. It is really hearty and nutritious, with lots of yummy goodness.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment