Saturday, 11 September 2010

Betty White

In a world where older people are often set aside and dismissed as no longer able to contribute to our society, it is easy to become jaded and disilusioned about growing older. With a societal prespective such as this, aging doesn't hold any romance or beauty. This disregard toward the senior members of our world by so many people can be disheartening.

I know that in my own life, especially when I was a teenager, I was just as bad. However, I am also happy to have had the priviledge of growing up a bit myself, and recognizing the value in all people no matter what their age.

Perhaps for those very reasons, I have found the 'revival' of Betty White to be absolutely wonderful.


While I am sure I watched Betty White well before The Golden Girls, on her own shows and on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, it was on the Golden Girls where I first got to 'know' her. My favourite part of the day, for many years, was 5:30 p.m. I would cook super and have wonderful destressing laughs while I watched The Golden Girls.

Betty White's new popularity this last year or so has come from her appearances in a number of movies, such as The Proposal, her guest host appearance on Saturday Night Live, and her new tv show, Hot in Cleveland

Before her appearance on SNL, she chatted with Ellen on the Ellen Degeneres Show.

Betty White's appearance on SNL was prompted by a much publicized Facebook campaign.

It is a beautiful thing to see Betty White so happy and enjoying her life and still practicing her art. It is also terrific that a younger generation is finding her to be just as funny and enjoyable. She now inspires everyone with her energy and wit no matter what her age.

Maybe, just maybe a new generation will also recognize the value of people, regardless of their age?

No comments:

Post a Comment