Monday, 22 November 2010

Mini Almond Cakes - Jacques Pépin

On Saturdays I usually catch a couple of cooking shows on PBS. I've seen Jacques Pépin cooking with Julia Child in reruns, but he has also had his own show for a number of years.

This week the show began with mini almond cakes. Talk about easy and fast! I made a couple of tiny changes to the recipe and made some for our dessert.

Mini Almond Cakes
¼ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup whole almonds
1 egg
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp almond extract or a dash of rum

Put the flour, sugar, and almonds in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add the egg, butter (melted), and almond extract. Blend until mixed.

Pour mixture into muffin/cupcake papers. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 350. (toothpick should come out clean)

Topping:
Fresh berries
Or
1 cup frozen berries and 2 tbsp sugar. Place in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let cool. It can be spooned on to the cakes when serving as is, or puréed first. (or watch the video below and follow Jacques' directions
Or
Any type of frosting that you'd like

(makes about 6)

It was a quick recipe and the size of the cakes was perfect.

Here's a link to the show:

Dinner Party Special (219): Jacques Pépin: More Fast Food My Way

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting recipe. Re oven, I figured 350 but Jacques never said. Am going to try today. I ask myself: why not both extract and the rum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried it at 350 degrees Farenheit and it works well. I bet you could do both the extract and the rum. I've never tried. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His mini cakes baked flat. Mine were rounded. No biggie but do your cakes come out flat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may have missed the baking powder...something I left off by accident when first posting. You need 1/4 tsp of baking powder. In the video he actually says 1/2 tsp and then corrects himself. Let me know if that works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw Jacque's show on the mini almond cakes and was hoping to find the recipe on line. Thanks for your blog. You're a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Thank you. Very cute presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx do much for the oven temp! BTW, he uses 2 eggs;).

    ReplyDelete