Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Tomato Soup

Here's a tomato soup recipe that I found this week and made...in 20 minutes!


1 large diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
3 c chicken broth
freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp oregano


Sauté the onion and garlic in a tiny bit of vegetable oil. When the onion is translucent add the tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth.


Stir together and cook at medium heat for 15 minutes. Add freshly ground pepper and oregano.


Purée the soup and serve. I used my immersion mixer. (way easier than a blender!)
For some variety: sprinkle on croutons, add some barley (increase the chicken broth accordingly - just follow package directions), add rice and extra broth.You can also add some diced red peppers, put them in with the onions to sauté .

I love tomato soup but haven't eaten it for years because the canned stuff has milk. I found this recipe and tried it with some reluctance, I had no idea that the soup would be so easy to make. It was rich and creamy. One day I'm going to try it with fresh tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment