Monday, 10 January 2011

Homemade Exfoliant

Exfoliating removes dead skin from our bodies. This eliminates flaking and gives our skin a more polished and healthy glow. You can exfoliate with special gloves, loufahs, as well as commercial products.

I have bought many commercial exfoliants over the years, but I always gravitate back to my homemade one for the best results.


This simple recipe is one I learned a number of years ago. I keep a batch that I place in a plastic container. I keep it by my tub and use it once a week or so when I shower.

You can find lots of recipes for the following scrub on the internet. Here is the one I have followed for the last five or ten years:
The recipe:

1 part olive oil (I usually start with 1 cup)
2 parts sugar

Add some drops of essential oil, if you'd like (I prefer almond oil)

I often buy some oversized popsicle sticks or tongue depressors that I keep on hand by the container.


The popsicle stick/tongue depressor is good for stirring up the mixture and for taking out a dab to put in your hands.

When my skin is really dry I rub it on my legs, arms, and torso. I rinse it off and pat myself dry. It really helps smooth down my skin and keep the moisture in. 

This mixture is also really great for gardening hands. This is also great for when I do needlepoint and need nice smooth hands for my linen fabric and silk threads. 

Another use is for feet. I like to put peppermint oil in that batch. I apply it generously (especially to my heels) after I've soaked my feet for a few minutes in warm soapy water. 
I have friends who say they have used it on their faces. I don't recommend this without talking to someone knowledgable, however. While I've seen many exfoliants with sugar in them, facial skin is delicate and I'm just not comfortable trying this on my face.

This stuff is also ok for them men in your life.... even if just to use on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment