Friday, 4 February 2011

Counting Sheep...

Here's a crazy thing...

I was up tonight, not able to sleep, and decided to watch a recently recorded episode of Dr. Oz. Of all things, the episode was about sleep issues and the dangers of not sleeping enough.

Lack of sleep causes:
  • Higher blood pressure
  • 50% more likely to be overweightobesity
  • Double the risk of heart attacks
  • 1 in 6 fatal car accidents due to fatigue
There are likely a number of things to consider in getting a better sleep. For instance, exercising right before bed isn't great, either. Tonight was ringette night. We play at 9:00 p.m. and to be honest, most nights that's when I'm getting ready for bed. On ringette night I'm getting my heart rate really going, making it hard to settle in for the evening.

But, that's only one night a week, and I'm sleeping poorly almost every night. Most nights I fall asleep fairly easily, but I have difficulty staying asleep and getting back to sleep.

I work hard at going to sleep at the same time every night. I don't watch tv or use the computer in bed. There are no lights on in our room, I've hidden the alarm clock and I've removed all other electronics. (these are just some of the many suggestions that they have on various internet sites.)

What's left? Well, I know that hormones are also an issue, but that's not something I have a lot of control over. I'm watching my diet, but I'm not going to take hormone replacements. Been there, done that, and got lots of headaches to go with them.

So, I'll keep watching for solutions and keep working at counting sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment