Friday, 18 March 2011

Lemon Squares

Like most kids who grew up before the 80s, my mom belonged to many clubs, including a bridge club. That also meant that at least once a month our house would host an evening bridge night.

Invariably, this also meant that along with helping to do some extra cleaning there was often baking cooling on the counter when we got home from school the night of the event. Baking that we were to keep our hands off of. 

One of my favourite desserts...or squares, or dainties as they were often called was a Lemon Square. The lemon square was that perfect combination of mouth puckering tartness and lovely sweetness.

I really like to cook with lemons and recently I decided I'd make this old standby.

Lemon Squares
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners'/icing sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 lemons, juiced
4 Tbsp lemon zest

in the oven, ready to cook

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour, confectioners' sugar and 2 Tbsp of the lemon zest. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, lemon zest and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.

4.Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven.

The squares will firm up as they cool.

After pan has cooled, cut into uniform 2 inch squares and serve.

Optional, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the squares after cutting


Lemony goodness.

2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good. Too bad this recipe can't be adapted to make it low fat and low sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...that's why I cut them small and only have them as a special treat. Had to do baking for a gathering last Sunday, so I baked them. Between the ones I took and my family, I managed to have 2 only!

    ReplyDelete