Saturday, 2 April 2011

Book Covers

Homemade book with flap bindings
Last weekend I spent some time with a friend learning more about book binding. The results of my weekend included three new books on which I experimented with new bindings.

One book uses a type of tab to connect the sewn signatures to the cover. This book also has a wrap around cover, which I always love. I made two books using the same cover materials. They are pictured here.

The spine of the book


Another tab book using the same materials

Another book I am experimenting with is one that has the signatures sewn right into the cover. It took awhile to figure out the clasp...it wasn't difficult to sew, I just hadn't made one before. I do like the bead details on the spine. This book also makes use of some deer hide. It was a bit tough to sew through, but my trusty awl helped me out! Mo


This book still needs some work, but it's been great fun creating it!.
More books to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment